Firearms Licensing Requirements in Belgium


The Strategic Goods Control unit is the contact point for all your questions regarding the control on import, export and transfer of strategical goods and is the licensing authority for these imports, exports or transfers that have been made subject to licensing. This involves on the one hand defence-related products and related material, and civil firearms, as governed by the Flemish decree of 15 June 2012 and the decision of the Flemish government of 20 July 2012, and on the other hand dual use items, as governed by the EU Regulation No. 2021/821 and the decision of the Flemish government of 14 March 2014.

Please note that the Belgian Constitution prescribes that official government documents must be issued in the language of the Region. Any document the Strategic Goods Control Unit issues can therefore only be in Dutch. Flemish licenses are in Dutch as well but follow the European templates.

When a person actually imports, exports or transfers the civilian firearms, components thereof or ammunition, the border control/airport security services (or if not available the competent police or customs services) will stamp the bottom left box on page 2 of the attached form. After completing relevant activities (re-import, re-export or re-transfer the civilian firearms, components thereof or ammunition), a person must have the bottom right box on page 2 stamped again.

If the stamping proves to be impossible, a person can also present no later than two months after the end of your activities another proof of re-import, re-export or re-transfer to the Strategic Goods Control Unit. The proof is provided for either by a document issued by the customs administration of the importing or exporting country substantiating that the imported or exported goods are declared, either by another document substantiating that the goods are re-imported, re-exported or re-transferred within the prescribed period.

Relevant forms and guidance in English and Dutch are available at:


A non-EU hunter must ask for a “temporary importation of a firearm”. Please see the attached form.

The form must be sent to: Direction des Licences d’armes, 14 chaussée de Louvain à 5.000 Namur (paper), or to (e-mail)

The licence is given rather quick except for the summer months (July and August). The hunter should send the form at least 15 days before the hunt.


Stay informed, subscribe to the FACE Newsletter