11 Sep 2023 Job Advert: Policy Advisor on Large Carnivores
FACE is looking for a Policy Advisor to join its ambitious team in Brussels to drive its advocacy work on large carnivores to achieve improved coexistence between people and large carnivores. We are looking for someone who has a proven track record in interest representation with an understanding of EU decision-making and environmental policy. Knowledge of hunting and large carnivore conservation/management would be advantageous. See FACE’s work on large carnivores here.
The preferred candidate has the analytical thinking required to navigate through complex policy issues, and be able to formulate and coordinate strategies to deliver optimal outcomes. He or she should be passionate about the work we do at FACE and willing to work hard to influence and inform the EU dialogue on large carnivores. The successful candidate would be working closely with technical and political experts within FACE and its membership.
This post is located at the FACE Office in Brussels with extensive travel within Europe.
ROLE DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
Advocacy and External Relations
- Work closely with FACE Members in advancing FACE’s policy requests on large carnivores;
- Develop, implement and coordinate actions – in close cooperation with Members, the FACE Legal and Public Affairs Team, the Conservation Team, and the Communication Team – advocacy strategies and campaigns, policy events and other policy tasks with focus on the EU institutions;
- Represent FACE and its positions in meetings and public events, and as required, engage with media;
- Develop and leverage key relationships and alliances with decision makers and stakeholders, with particular attention to the EU, the Council, and other relevant institutions;
- Organise and ensure enhanced involvement of FACE Members and manage policy and law-related internal platforms including meeting organisation and follow-up;
Policy Monitoring and Analysis
- Oversee the monitoring and intelligence gathering of EU and international policy developments in the field of hunting and large carnivores;
- Analyse relevant political and legislative developments of relevance to FACE’s Members;
- Prepare briefing notes and reports to colleagues and Members;
- Willing to work flexibly; occasional flexible hours and travel within Europe.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
- University level education in law, political sciences, environment, or other relevant fields;
- A minimum of five years’ experience in European affairs in any of the following areas: EU institutions, advocacy NGOs, business firms, government, media, intergovernmental organisations, research organisations, political parties, think tanks;
- Strong knowledge of EU law and decision-making processes;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an international context with organisations from differing backgrounds and varying cultures with tact and diplomacy.
KEY SKILLS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and networking skills and ability to convince groups;
- Ability to think and act strategically and laterally and understanding of political processes;
- Strong organisational skills and ability to manage priorities and work to deadlines under pressure;
- Good analytical skills, capacity to identify key issues and ability to construct coherent arguments;
- Fluent in written and spoken English with a working knowledge of at least one other European language, preferably French and/or German.
- Experience of and/or good understanding of hunting, countryside activities and nature conservation would be an asset.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Terms: Three-year contract (under Belgian law). Attractive salary & benefits combined package.
Reports to: Secretary General
Starting date: As soon as possible
How to apply: Please send your CV and (1 page max.) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your motivation for applying for this position.
Deadline for applications: 09 October 2023.
For questions about this position, please contact the FACE Secretary General, Dr. David Scallan – email@example.com