The European Parliament Intergroup "Biodiversity, Hunting, Countryside"
Known as the “Hunting Intergroup”, the European Parliament Intergroup “Biodiversity, Hunting, Countryside” was created in 1985 and is one of the oldest and most active parliamentary platforms.
With 110 actively supporting MEPs the Intergroup promotes the role of hunting and other forms of sustainable use of natural resources. FACE has provided the Secretariat for this intergroup since 1985 while the European Landowners Organisation serves as Co-secretariat.
It tackles topics related to biodiversity, wildlife management, rural development and forestry and discusses current subjects whilst building the bridge between civil society and decision makers.
The activities of the Intergroup are run by a Bureau who are responsible for setting the themes and providing overall guidance; MEP Karl-Heinz FLORENZ is the President of the Intergroup. He is economist and agricultural master. Member of the European Parliament since 1989 and was re-elected in 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2014.
He is Member of the Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety and was Chairman of this Committee between 2004 and 2007. He is also a substitute member of the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, and was rapporteur and member of the former Temporary Committee on Climate Change.
“We are facing many challenges regarding biodiversity, sustainable hunting and wildlife management as well as climate change and rural development in the next few years. This Intergroup will serve as the key stakeholder platform within the European Parliament, enabling open cross-political discussions between decision-makers and experts, aiming to affirm the significant role of rural actors and the socio-economic importance of countryside activities.” - MEP Karl-Heinz FLORENZ
The Bureau is also constituted of three Vice President: Renata BRIANO, Bendt BENDTSEN and James NICHOLSON; and a Secretary General, Annie SCHREIJER-PIERIK.
For the 2014-2019 parliamentary term, the Intergroup will be reconstituted under the name “Biodiversity, Hunting & Countryside”, which reflects better its conservation goals and the fact that most of its Members are not hunters.
Find all the information about the last Intergroup Meetings organised by FACE:
- March 7, 2017: The future of the Nature Directives: where are we going?
- January 17, 2017: How to Manage Overabundant Species - The Example of Goose Management
- September 27, 2016: The Economic Value of Hunting in the EU
- March 1, 2016: Conference on the European Firearms Directive
- January 27, 2016: The Mid-Term Review: The Role of Hunters and Rural Stakeholders in Financing Biodiversity Conservation
- January 26, 2016: WILDLIFE, USE IT OR LOSE IT? Meeting on the EU’s strategic objectives for CITES CoP17
- September 15, 2016: The Return of the Wolf to the European Landscape: Challenges and Solutions
Read more about the Intergroup and its work: